Advertising: A Very Short Introduction dispels the myths surrounding the advertising industry. Advertising is a diverse entity, and campaigns work (or fail to work) in a plethora of ways. How does the advertising industry work? What part do all the key players (the advertisers, the media, and the agencies) play? Where does the public sit in the world of advertising? This VSI examines how advertisers determine whether they have been successful, how they know if the money they have spent has been wasted, and what the benefits of advertising are and what the future may hold for the industry.
Table of Contents
- 1. What does Advertising Do?
- 2. How the Advertising Industry is Structured
- 3. Advertisers: the Paymasters
- 4. The Media: Blowing the Advertisers' Trumpets
- 5. The Creative Agencies: Creating New Campaigns
- 6. The Media Agencies: Spending the Clients' Money
- 7. Research, Research, Research
- 8. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
- 9. The Role of Advertising in Society